Saturday, August 6, 2011

Welcome!

If you are reading this, congratulations! You found my blog, "Polyester Paisleys", in case you didn't read the title. So, as the blog author, I want to formally welcome you. Welcome. Since this is my first post, you might be expecting an explanatory introduction to my blog, and a little blurb about who I am. Well, that's exactly what you should expect because that's what I'm going to write.
First off, about me. I'm Elder Jordan Sharples (Elder is just a title, it means "teacher"), and I'm a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Basically
what this means is that I, along with thousands of other young men and women around the world, am using two years of my life to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and how it has been restored by a living prophet. It is our purpose to "Invite others to come unto Christ." It's pretty sweet. I really am loving every minute of it, even though sometimes things are hard.
My awesome ties!
To get more specific, I'm from a place called South Jordan, Utah, and am now serving my mission (The two year period I referred to earlier) in the great stateof California. I really love the outdoors, I'm a pretty big nerd, and I believe in Jesus Christ. I also love movies, music, and anything to do with brownies.
If you're a member of the Church, right now you're thinking,"Wait, what is this missionary doing writing a blog and being on Facebook?" Well, I'm supposed to do this. The California Santa Rosa mission (the area to which I have been called to spread the Gospel) has recently been selected to become an "online mission". So, a certain number of missionaries from our mission are asked to use the internet to fulfill our purpose. Cool, huh?
Now, about this blog. First off, why the title? Well, if there is one thing a missionary loves more than anything but the Gospel of Jesus Christ, it's ties. Some have argued that it's their family. The jury is still out. So, in an attempt to "tie" these two aspects of my life together (Am I ever going to get "tie"-red of that pun? Probably not.), I am writing this blog. Basically, the content of this blog is going to be the connections between all of our lives, my life in particular, and the Gospel. I'm very excited to be able to address all of you via the "internets", it is a remarkable privilege.
I just wanted to close by sharing with all of the world (or the tens of people who may read this blog) what I believe. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world. That by him, and through him, and of him we can once again live with God and with our families for eternity. I believe that God has once again reached out in love and called a prophet to guide us today. His name is Thomas S. Monson. I also believe that God has revealed new scripture in a book called the Book of Mormon. I believe that this book is true, along with the Bible. I know that God loves us and wants the best for us. I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I leave that with you in the name of Jesus Christ.

Peace and Love,
Elder Sharples

3 comments:

  1. This might be the best thing that happened all day. Jordan blogging? Doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am profoundly priviliged to be populated with the "tens" of people to purvey "Polyester Paisleys". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am awfully amazed at the awesomeness of your appetizing alliterations. I adore alliteration.

    ReplyDelete