Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Panda Ponderings Part 2: Participating in the Present


The two fingers are for part two.
Just to clarify.
   "Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift.  That's why it's called the present."  Those were some of Master Oogway's last words that he said to Po, the reluctant hero, soon to be Dragon Warrior.  The wise old turtle departed in a blaze of pink petals soon afterwards.  It was weird, but somehow it worked.  But that's not what we're focusing on.  Today, we're focusing on the present.
   Okay, it may be a little bit early for this, but lately I have kind of been reviewing my mission, and planning for the future.  I've been out for about 20 months now, and it's hard not to think about the future, and ponder on the past.  Little things creep into my mind, like school, jobs, money, and a myriad of other things that, quite frankly, I'll need to wait for.  I also look back and think, "Well, if I had just done this better, things would have turned out differently."  It stresses me out.  I really wish it would just stop, but it's harder than it seems.  All I know is, pondering on the past and fretting about the future prevents us from participating in the present.
   We can't change what we've done, but we can change what we do now.  Of course, it is necessary to learn from our mistakes.  After all, the old adage goes, "He who does not learn from the past is doomed to repeat it."  However, I'm talking about something that I do a lot.  That is, look back on the mistakes I've made and thinking that somehow they disqualify me.  Thinking that I can't overcome them.  That's the kind of thinking that can get you into trouble with the past.  Don't dwell on your mistakes.  Make the change and move along.  The Atonement of Jesus Christ is really great for that.  It can help us make lasting changes in the present that will carry into the future.  Indeed, it is the only thing that can.

   Similar to how we shouldn't dwell on the past, we don't need to worry about the future.  The only way to ensure a secure future is to do the things that we are supposed to do right now.  I really think that the Savior puts it best (as He often does) in Matthew:


   "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." (Matthew:  6:34)


   In essence, don't worry.  Keep the commandments that he has given us today, and the future will take care of itself.  You have a promise from the Savior of the world.  The evils (struggles, worries, stressors) of today are enough!  We don't need to add any more evil by thinking about tomorrow.  It's like my dad always told me growing up:  Proper preparation prevents poor performance.  I think that's another Rick's Rule, too! Also, I think I just discovered where my love for alliteration comes from.  Anyway, the point is, if we prepare today, we don't need to stress about tomorrow.

These dinosaurs are living in the present,
and they've got a perfect excuse not to.

   Another quick note on this quote (Hey, that rhymes!):  I think there's a lot to be said about not procrastinating.  Tomorrow really is a mystery, we don't always know how late will be too late.  Alma tells us not to procrastinate the day of our repentance.  I think that extends to all areas of our lives.  Don't procrastinate your homework, or telling your parents or children that you love them, or saying you're sorry.  Do it now!
   Well, I'm pretty sure I wrote this blog post mainly for myself, but I think it applies to all of us.  Learn from your past, prepare for your future, but live in the present.  Do the things now that you need to.  Don't wait until it's too late!  Learn from the sage words of Master Oogway, and treat the present like the gift it is.

Rock On!

Elder Sharples

No comments:

Post a Comment